Music Videos

King Krule - A Lizard State



I like how this music video uses an intertextual reference to Alfred Hitchcock's movie 'Vertigo'. The video contains intriguing shots from a number of angles, meaning that King Krule is presented in a more interesting way: this is vital considering he is the only performing artist in the video.

Dead Sea - Lotion



I love the simple, post-Cold War aesthetic of this video and how it is juxtaposed by the synth pop music. Some shots are in reverse which creates a really odd and unique effect. 

The Cure - In Between Days



Considering this music video is from the 1980s, it uses some effects/shots that are fairly modern - for example, I like how they have attached a camera to the guitar for a unique POV. As well as this, they have also attached the camera to a rope (?) to allow Robert Smith to throw and catch it, something I think is a cool way of making  simple performance appear more interesting.

DIIV - Wait




I really like the overall aesthetic of this video: it appears as though it was filmed on old, expired film which provides a warm effect to the video, as well as creating a sense of nostalgia. The transitions and shots in the vid are also "dreamy" which adds to the whole aesthetic of the video. 


Rejjie Snow - Pink Beetle




This music video takes place in only two areas of the same location which is something I think words well, as it allows for good continuity. Throughout the vid there is diegetic sound that isn't from the original track - such as sound effects of people getting their teeth taken out. This is an interesting aspect, since it makes the music video feel more realistic. I like how the camera is often positioned fairly close to Rejjie, as the attention is drawn towards him. 


Mac DeMarco - Passing Out Pieces




Mac Demarco's music video for Passing Out Pieces is the epitome of unique and weird: the odd narrative paired with wacky visuals results in an overwhelmingly cool viewing experience. I really like how the video is ironically of a lower quality - I feel this adds to the humour of the video and is perhaps something I could implement in my video. I particularly enjoy the effects that occur throughout, it gives the feeling of something similar to a drug trip!


Yung Lean - Hurt



This video is interesting to me because of its unique visuals: I feel that this is eye-catching and could be something to include in my music video. The whole aesthetic/mise en scene of the video fits with Yung Lean's "sadboy" movement, and so is easily identifiable - I think that this aids it in being more memorable and thus more successful.


Keith Ape - It G Ma



This video stands out to me due to its ability to "show off" the artists that feature: the camera is used in a handheld format, therefore it appears that Keith Ape is the person who is controls the flow/direction of the vid. Furthermore, I like how the light, throughout the video, is "flared" since it creates a clean, almost sc-fi, aesthetic. As well as this, the cool purple gifs that appear on-screen also stand out as something that is different to me - I feel that using interesting visuals like this in my video could be interesting. 


Fazerdaze - Lucky Girl


I like how, throughout the video, the camera zooms into centre frame -  I feel like this increases the pace of the video and creates a "smoothness" to it. The colours are simple and bright making the video bold and striking. Another feature of this video that I would adapt into my video is the square aspect ratio: it adds to overall "vintage/retro" aesthetic and looks super cool. 


Corridor - Coup d'epe



I really like this video for its simplicity: the yellow colour scheme of the band and text works perfectly, and the simple (but effective) technique of stop motion adds intrigue to the video. Considering this easy technique provides such a cool effect, it is certainly worth considering. I like how particular movements of the band are in time with the drum beat, since it creates a nice "flowing" quality to the vid and improves continuity.



Comments

Popular Posts