CD Digipak: Researching Graphic Album Covers


Despite the fact that I am required to use photography for my digipak, I can still implement certain design aspects and so I thought it would be useful to research album covers that use graphic design.

In order from top left to bottom right:

Joan of Arc - A Portable Model Of
For me, this album cover is really aesthetically pleasing: I love how clean it is and the colour scheme works really well since it is neutral and soft. I feel like the cover reflects the somewhat complex and "mathy" music on the record which is important. I think this album cover has definitely pushed me towards a simpler design for my digipak, since it is so effective.

Ulrika Spacek - The Album Paranoia
This album has provided inspiration for me since it features photography (despite being a found image) and design, which is something I want to achieve with my digipak. Similar to the Joan of Arc cover, this album cover is also really simple. I think that having a design that isn't "busy" would help entice my audience since a simple design is not overwhelming to look at - plus it looks cool.

Snowing - Fuck Your Emotional Bullshit
The cover for Snowing's album 'Fuck Your Emotional Bullshit' uses drawing for both the graphic, and the title/band name. I think this is something I could use since it is a common theme within the emo genre, as well as being simple to do. Furthermore, the drawing makes the album more personal, especially since the album is about the death of his friend in a car accident.

case/lang/veirs - case/lang/veirs
This album cover attracts my attention because it is not entirely clear what it depicts, due to the interesting distortion/glitch technique. Furthermore, the name of the band (also the title of the album) is highly visible to the consumer and matches the colour scheme of the cover overall.

Corridor - Supermacado
Corridor are a French Canadian post-punk band. I think the simplistic album cover for 'Supermacado' reflects their quirky sound and French lyrics since it uses bold colours and a clean design. I like how they have decided to use block colours since it is visually appealing to the consumer and doesn't appear "busy".

Algernon Cadwallader - Some Kind of Cadwallader
I really like how this album cover uses cut out paper to create a simplistic design, as well as the name of the band. I could easily use this in certain parts of my digipak - particularly the title/band name.

C Duncan - The Midnight Sun
The layout of this album cover is simple due to the amount of negative space: I think that this is a good decision since the art is more prominent. The name of the artist and the title of the album are fairly large and the font is clean and precise, which allows for the consumer to immediately access information about the album.

Grimes - Visions 
As well as being a talented producer/musician, Grimes is also an exceptional artist and designer. Her album cover for 'Visions' was designed by her and features her own art. Something that is not noticeable from the image is that the purple bar on the right of the cover is actually made up of 'grimes' being typed over and over again. This is certainly unconventional and really fits with her IDM genre. I like how she has used small, serif font for the title of the album and her name; it does not detract from the art piece, but provides the consumer with useful information.

Comments

Popular Posts